Skip to content
The main recipe is for an everyday meal. See below for other more elaborate ideas. The bhinda kadhi(ભીંડા ની કઢી) or the spinach and onion kadhi are great accompaniment for bajri rotla (બાજરી ના રોટલા).
In a liquidiser or with a hand held mixer, beat together yoghurt, water and channa flour to make an emulsion. Add whole chilli and ginger pieces now to simplify the process-
Leave aside for 15 minutes
Take a heavy bottom pan which is at least twice the volume of batter.
Heat the ghee on a medium heat till quite warm but not smoking.
Add all ingredients of vaghaar in the order above. Add asafoetida when all the spices start spluttering and then quickly add the batter, stirring constantly.
Keep stirring until a smooth emulsion is formed and the kadhi begins to bubble.
Turn down the heat and add turmeric, and if you haven't already added the chilli/ginger in the first step..
Let it simmer for about 5 more minutes. Turn off the heat.
Add the sugar and or milk only if kadhi tastes too sour.
Just before serving the piping hot kadhi, sprinkle with the fresh chopped coriander.
Other variations of Kadhi
Kadhi with Bhajia(pakoda)
• Take 4 tbsp channa flour and add half a tsp each salt, ajwain seeds, chilli/ginger paste and sodium bicarbonate.
• Add 4 tbsp washed, chopped squeezed methi spinach and a tsp of yoghurt. Using little water at a time and stirring constantly, make a batter of dropping consistency. • Deep fry teaspoon size balls of batter in oil. Start with very hot oil and then finish cooking at low heat, until the bhajias are almost double in size and brownish in colour. Drain on a paper towel. 10 minutes before serving, soak the bhajias in milk and add to the kadhi.
• This Kadhi is delicious to eat with biriyani or pulao rice.
• Take about 200g of Bhinda(okra, lady finger), wash, dry, top and tail and slice into little round pieces. • Finely chop one medium onion as well.
• Heat a tbsp of oil and add pinch of rai and ajwain. When they start to splatter add the onions and bhinda. Add a tsp of salt and some turmeric powder. Cook the vegetables with the lid on and as soon as the stringy glue consistency of the bhinda disappears, then add the cooked vegetables to the kadhi.
• Place the kadhi on a low heat for a further 10 minutes before serving.
Bhaaji and/or Onion Kadhi
• Follow the bhinda kadhi recipe above, but cook spinach with onions.
• Onions on their own also taste great in the kadhi.
• The spinach and onions will need less cooking time than bhinda.
error: Content is protected !!