Aubergine Orro રીંગણનો ઓરો
This dish is generally served with daal and not kadhi . Freshly roasted papad are a great accompaniment.
- 2 Large aubergines Light and firm(when tapped on the outside, should sound hollow) and should have a taut skin
- 1 Large Onion or bunch of spring onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp paste of 2-3 green chillies and half inch ginger
- 2 large Ripe tomatoes skinned and chopped finely
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds રાઈ
- Half tsp Ajwain seeds અજમો
- Few grains fenugreek seeds મેથી દાણા
- pinch asafoetida હીંગ
- 2 tsp dhana-jeeru powder ધાણા જીરુ
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh coriander finely chopped
- Cut aubergines lengthwise and score the skin side, 4-5 times.
- Place aubergines with flesh side down in a large greased non-stick tray. Lightly grease the skin of the aubergines.
- Cook the aubergines under hot grill for about 20-30 minutes until the skin is crinkled and can be easily peeled off. Whole aubergines can also be roasted directly on the gas flame until the skin chars and crinkles.
- Leave to one side for 10 minutes before peeling the charred skin off the flesh.
- Chop the onions and garlic.
- Discard the scorched skin and chop up the cooked pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, ajwain and fenugreek seeds, in that order. Add asafoetida when seeds start to splutter and then quickly add the garlic and the onions. Fry on a medium heat until translucent.
- Add chilli and ginger, and fry for 20 seconds and next add the chopped aubergine pulp. Add the dhana-jeeru. Roast for a minute more.
- Add finely chopped ripe tomatoes (fresh or frozen). See the 'Top Cooking Tips' page, point 5 for frozen tomatoes.
- Add salt to taste and sugar if using, mix well.
- The orro should have a chunky consistency with a bite.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander before serving.
A tasty dish to eat with Rotlis or on its own.