My Dearest Komal, Anjli and Amar,
This is another delicious Channa(chick-pea) recipe. This one is by Sapnamasi from her essential collection and also Niki’s absolute favourite Indian meal. Traditionally a north Indian recipe which goes perfectly with Bhatura. To avoid confusion, please note that the American cup is equal to about 240ml!
Chole-Chick Pea Curry(ચણા )
- Wide sauce pan
- 32 oz cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Cup of canola oil Any vegetable oil can be used
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp adu marcha lasan paste Garlic, ginger chili paste. Use according to taste.
- 1 cup Strong English tea black
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder Can use ready mic dhana jeeru powder.
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- ¾ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 1-2 cups water To be used as required.
- 1 tbsp Chopped cilantro(green coriander leaves) For garnish
- Brown onions over medium heat.
- Add ginger/chili/garlic paste (adu/marcha/lasan)
- Stir in masalas, and salt.
- Add some water to prevent onions from burning.
- Cook until water evaporates.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes
- Cook further until reduced
- Add the black tea and the chick peas
- Cook covered for 10-15 min, add water as needed
- Garnish with chopped cilantro