Servings: 4 People
This makes the liquid part of the complete Gujarati meal. Ideally served with rotlis and rice, but you could omit one of the carbohydrates, for a quicker and a low calorie meal.Print Recipe
- Quarter Cup Each masoor daal, mug daal and adad daal Adad daal gives the stickiness to the final dish
- 2 Tbsp Each tuver daal and channa daal Both these need to soak 15 minutes longer.
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 cloves
- 1 Inch long Cinnamon stick
- 3-4 Black peppercorns
- Half Tspn Mustard seeds
- 5-6 Curry leaves લીમડી
- Pinch asafoetida powder હીંગ
For the sauce
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 Tspn Green chilli and ginger paste
- Half Cup Tomatoes pulped- fresh or tinned
- 1 Tbsp masala powder optional....garam or misal
- 1 Tspn Jaggery Or brown sugar
- 2 Pieces Kokum dried
- 2 Tspn Salt as per taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh green coriander chopped.
- Wash and soak all daals for about an hour. Soak the two groups of daals separately.
- Discard water used for soaking. Cook daals all together in fresh water for about 30-40 minutes. To reduce cooking time you can use a pressure cooker.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan. When hot, add all the vaghar ingredients in the order listed, ending with the asafoetida powder.
- Quickly add the garlic and the onions. Fry on lower heat for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli/ginger paste and fry for one more minute.
- Add the tomatoe pulp. Stir and cook until the oil starts to surface.
- If using masala, add next. In this case reduce the amount of chili/ginger paste used.
- Add the jaggery and kokum.
- Now add the cooked daals with the water.
- Adjust water, salt and other spices according to taste
- Garnish with coriander before serving.
Variations: 1. To make a creamier version, add about 2 tablespoons of coconut milk or cream, a few minutes before serving. In this case omit the jaggery as either of these ingredients have some sweetness 2. To make the daal without onions or garlic, ensure the vaghar is strong and add a larger pinch of asafoetida