Mug ઢીલા મગ
Servings: 2 people
This constitutes the liquid part of any complete gujarati meal. High in protein.The gujarati term for this type of dish is kathod (કઠોળ).Print Recipe
- 1 cup whole mug મગ Can substitute with any other whole lentils or any split lentils either on their own or mixed. Adad tends to be sticky , so always add a few tablespoons of channa daal with whole adad. If using a mixture of split daals, use less of adad daal.
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 cloves
- 1 small stick cinammon
- 3-4 corns black pepper
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- pinch asafoetida powder
- 2 medium onions Finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic Finely chopped
- 3 whole Green chillies Ground to paste
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger Ground to paste
- Half cup pulped tomatoes Fresh or tinnned. Final consistency of dish will depend on the type of tomatoes added, chopped or puree.
- 1 tsp garam masala You can alter taste of the lentils by changing the type of masala used. Also the type of lentil will dictate the masal
- 1 tsp jaggery ગોળ or brown sugar
- 1 piece dried kokum
- 2 tsp Salt Or to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped coriander To garnish
- Wash daal or lentils until water is clear. Then soak in clean water for at least 2 hours. Whole adad will require soaking overnight.
- Cook in double the water, always using fresh water. In a pressure-cooker, it will take about 10 minutes, otherwise around 30-40 minutes. Cook until the lentils can be squashed between two fingers. At this stage I add salt to split lentils and not the whole lentils.
- Starting with the vaghaar, heat the oil in a large heavy based pan.
- Next add the vaghaar ingredients in the order listed, but leaving the asafoetida. Once the seeds start spluterring, add the asafoetida.
- Quickly add the garlic and onions.
- Fry for a few minutes until the onions are translucent and start to brown. Avoid burning ingredients as the burnt taste will come through to the finished dish.
- Add the chili and ginger pastes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir until a film of oil starts to surface.
- Add the jaggery and kokum and stir further.
- Now add the cooked lentil or daals.
- Also add salt and water according to taste. Stir thoroughly and simmer on low heat for at least 10 minutes. This will enhance the spicy taste.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander before serving.
- Serve with rice and/or rotlis.
Mug (મગ) can be substituted for any other whole or split lentils, such as adad (અડદ), masoor (મસૂર), or black eyed beans (ચોળા). Usually I would serve this with the main meal and the leftover would be eaten mixed with rice (ભાત). Roasted papad always accompanies mug. This dish is only a part of a full gujarati meal. The complete meal provides all the necessary nutrients in the vegetarian diet.