Home Made Ghee
A very easy method of making fresh and fragrant ghee.Print Recipe
- 1 Thick bottom 1 litre saucepan
- 1 packet 250g Butter without salt if possible
- Remove the butter packaging and place the unwrapped butter in the pan.
- Place the pan on a low heat and let the butter melt.
- Keeping the low setting, let the liquefied butter bubble gently.
- When you can see the bottom of the pan, remove from heat. Usually after 10 minutes.
- There should be some browned curd at the bottom of the pan.
- Sieve the resulting ghee into a clean glass jar. Use a metal sieve.
- There should only remain the burnt curds at the bottom of the pan and in the sieve.
I usually add half a glass of warm water to the pan and use up the remaining ghee and burnt curds to make rotli dough. Once the ghee has cooled and set, close the jar and store in the fridge. This ghee will remain odour free and fresh for a good three month period.