Pav Bhaji (Mixed vegetable curry with toasted rolls)
Servings: 4 people
Use appropriate rolls to convert this to a gluten-free meal.Print Recipe
- 200 g potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 150-200 g peas frozen or fresh
- 300 g Cauliflower head
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tspn cumin seeds
- 1 tspn Mustard seeds
- small pinch asafoetida
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped (optional)
- 3 medium Ripe tomatoes chopped or minced
- 2 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala Mix MDH perhaps
- 2 tspn Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- leaves Fresh chopped corianderfor garnish
- 6 rolls burger buns halved and buttered generously.
- few Wedges lemon for individual taste.
- Place half cup of water in a pan (pressure cooker) and add the potatoes, carrots, peas and head of cauliflower.
- Cover and cook all the vegetables until soft.
- Meanwhile heat up the oil in a large pan or wok.
- When the oil becomes hot, add the cumin and mustard and the asafetida when the cumin/mustard start spluttering.
- Immediately add the onion and sauté until light brown.
- Next add the garlic and the masala mix. Keep stirring and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and the puree. Mix thoroughly.
- Roughly mash up the cooked vegetables, add to the pan and mix.
- Taste and adjust salt and masala as per taste. The resulting Bhaji should be slightly liquidy. So you might need to add water, but do this in stages for if the Bhaji becomes too runny, then it will also lose the taste.
- Transfer to a big bowl and garnish with the chopped coriander.
- Just before serving, toast the buttered halves of buns under a grill (traditionally they are roasted on a frying pan with plenty of butter).
- Serve two halves of bun with a good helping of the vegetables (Bhaji).
- Squeeze some lemon juice as per taste.
Another tradition of our household is to eat the Pav Bhaji topped with slices of flavoursome hard cheese. This can also be served, topped with fresh finely chopped onions. This is a very simple and quick meal to make after a busy day at work. The spicy Bhaji tastes great with the crispy Pav.