Chole-Chick Pea Curry(ચણા )
Unlike the kabuli chana recipe, the resulting curry should be quite dark.
- 32 oz cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Cup of canola oil Any vegetable oil can be used
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp adu marcha lasan paste Garlic, ginger chili paste. Use according to taste.
- 1 cup Strong English tea black
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder Can use ready mix dhana jeeru powder.
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- ¾ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 1-2 cups water To be used as required.
- 1 tbsp Chopped cilantro(green coriander leaves) For garnish
Brown onions over medium heat.
Add ginger/chili/garlic paste (adu/marcha/lasan)
Stir in masalas, and salt.
Add some water to prevent onions from burning.
Cook until water evaporates.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes
Cook further until reduced
Add the black tea and the chick peas
Cook covered for 10-15 min, add water as needed
Garnish with chopped cilantro
Sapnamasi has used tinned chick-peas but you can always use dried chick peas(equivalent amount would be 200g dried chickpeas). In that case the dry lentils will have to be soaked at least 8 hours before and cooked in equal volume of water(preferably in the pressure cooker) until soft.
My guess is, you would use the tinned version!
You can always replace the bhaturas for ready naan or plain puri or even rotlis. Rice too would be a good accompaniment.