My Dearest Komal, Anjli and Amar,
In an endevour to compile a recipe book for the expanding Surajba Family, Sapnamasi sent me this great Bhatura(Indian fried bread) recipe which always accompanies chole(chick pea curry). The kabuli chana recipe that I have in the blog is not the traditional chole recipe. Perhaps Sapnamasi will send me her version!
- Adni and Velan
- Deep fryer
For the Dough
- 250 g flour usually white,but can always substitute for wholemeal.
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp jeera
- 2 tbs dried methi leaves Kasoori methi
- 2 tsp sugar adjust to taste
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tsp ginger,chili garlic paste optional
- 3 slices bread white or wholemeal, soaked in water.
- 3 tbs yogurt
- 2 tbs milk if required.
- 300 ml vegetable oil For deep frying
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. You can also use an electric mixer(food processor).
- Rub in the oil.
- Squeeze excess water from bread, crumble and add to flour.
- Add ginger/chili/garlic paste and the yogurt
- If required add the milk and mix to make a very firm dough.
- Cover and rest for 3-4 hours.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer.
- Divide the dough into smaller balls. Roll out each smaller ball into roughly 7.5 cm disc and deep fry. Each disc should puff into a crispy round Bhatura. Cook on both sides.
- Best eaten hot with spicy chole.