My Dearest Komal, Anjli and Amar,
A great summer recipe and a great reminder of our Spanish adventures too. A one dish meal, that if planned in advance is a ‘quick’ solution for one of your numerous meals. The total time required looks long but it is easy to make!
Achalamasi’s Vegetarian Paella
- Heavy based wide paella pan, usually round and shallow. See instructions.
- 3 tbsp olive oil Spanish
- 2 medium onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 200 g short grain paella rice (not Basmati) Such as Arroz Redonda, Bomba, Senia, Thaibonnet.
- ½ tsp saffron strands infused in half liter of cold water
- 2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
Vegetables for the first stage
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 100 g french beans topped and tailed and cut into 5 cm pieces
- ½ red pepper diced
- ½ yellow pepper diced
- 1½ litre hot vegetable stock Made with I vegetable stock cube
- extra hot water If required, add the extra water in stages.
Ingredients to add towards the end
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes diced
- 4 chestnut mushrooms diced
- 10 preserved artichokes from bottle sliced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 wedges lemon
- 3 tbsp green coriander finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in the paella pan or any other heavy and wide bottom pan
- Fry onions, garlic, ginger and green chilies, in that order. Fry until onions become translucent.
- Add rice and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the saffron water
- Add the other seasonings: salt, black pepper and turmeric. Fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the carrots, peppers, and green beans and fry a further few minutes. Stirring all the time. To keep the vegetables crunchy, try not to overcook them at this stage. They will cook further with the rice later on.
- Add the hot stock in batches (of about half a liter each) and keep stirring. Keep the heat to a medium setting.
- Depending on the rice and the amount of other ingredients, you might not use all the stock.
- Keep cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes until the rice is cooked. If the rice is not fully cooked even after using all the prepared stock, then add the extra hot water. Always adding a little at a time and stirring after.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over the paella. Add the fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, artichokes and coriander just before serving
- Cover the whole dish with tea towel and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. The rice should be cooked but with a soft bite to it.