Muesli Swiss style
This is the authentic Swiss muesli recipe full of nutrition and a great way to start the day.
- 50 g rolled oats, whole rolled oats are gluten free and easier to soak and digest. You can use other alternatives like rolled quinoa, barley, amaranth, corn, rice, buckwheat, etc
- 40 g rolled oats, broken (smaller pieces)
- 200 ml Milk This can be substituted with any fruit juice, like orange or apple
Additions and Toppings
- 1 sharp crispy apple
- 3 tbsp yogurt (optional) A shop bought fruit yogurt can be substituted, but remember this will contain sugar
- 2 tbsp cream(optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- half tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbs flaked almonds
- 1 tbs pumpkin and sunflower seed mix(optional)
- 1 tbs raisins
- 1 tbs dried cranberries
- 1 tbs honey will mix better if it is runny.
- 2 tbs fresh berries (optional) seasonal fruits like sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries .......are delicious.
- Soak the cereals in the chosen liquid at least 8 hours before eating. Always ensure the cereals are completely soaked . I always ensure it looks runny at this stage as all the liquid will be soaked up by the morning.
- In the morning, if the muesli looks solid, add more liquid, milk or juice. The yogurt and the cream, if adding, will also loosen the muesli.
- Wash and grate the apple(with or without the skin) using the bigger side of the grate. Add to the muesli.
- Add the cinnamon and cardamom.
- Add the rest of the toppings just before eating, as per taste.
- Spoon into individual bowls and enjoy the tasty, healthy breakfast full of long lasting energy.
My first impression of muesli is the Alpen Muesli available in the U.K. Like other cereals just add milk to a couple of scoops of the ready dried mix and eat for breakfast. This recipe is for the authentic Swiss style of muesli, also known as Bircher Muesli, which looks very similar to the fruit yogurts in plastic cups available in the supermarkets. The oats need to be soaked the night before and any other fruits and/or dried ingredients are added just before consumption.