White Sauce (or Cheese Sauce)
The white sauce can be used for many pasta or baked dishes. The cheese sauce can also be used to make cauliflower cheese.Print Recipe
- 50 g butter Or mix of butter and margarine and even some olive oil
- 1 chopped onion. Optional. But particularly good if making a pasta sauce
- 2 Tbsp plain flour Can also substitute plain flour with Gluten-free flour
- 300 ml Milk at room temperature Full or half or even skimmed. Each type will determine the final calories of the sauce.
- 150 g Cheese Optional and also depending on the type of sauce required.
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy based pan on a low heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour. With this method it is important to ensure that the flour and butter mixer is liquid. The melted butter should completely cover the flour.
- Keeping the heat low, continuously stir the mixture until the flour becomes brown.
- Add the milk, all at once.
- Keep stirring continuously. All the browned flour and butter will blend into the milk.
- When the sauce starts thickening, add the seasoning and the cheese(optional)
- If making a pasta sauce, you can also add a couple of spoons of pesto now..
For a pasta sauce, you can brown one chopped onion in the butter before adding the flour. This mixture will be more solid, but will disperse well into the milk due to the onions. Look up the home-made pesto recipe.