Bateta Wada બટેટા વડા
Servings: 6 2-3 per person
Best eaten with green chutney, tomato chutney or tomato ketchup For variation, add two tablespoons of drained, tinned corn in the potato filling. Adjust the seasoning accordingly. Or for a crunchier wada add crushed peanuts and/or finely chopped onion.Print Recipe
- 150g Channa flour (chick pea or gram)
- 1 tbsp rice flour optional
- Half tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ajwain seeds
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 50 ml Water enough to give a runny batter
For the filling
- 300g potatoes boiled and peeled
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds (have used a combination of black and white in my example)
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- 2 tsp chillies and ginger ground to a paste
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander chopped
For Deep Frying
- 3 cups Vegetable oil corn or peanut oil
- 1 pan for deep frying
- For the batter, place flour(s) in a wide basin and add the seasoning. Slowly add the water, oil and the lemon juice and stir into a batter of a thick dropping consistency with no lumps. Set aside.
- For the filling, mash the potatoes using your hands to achieve a lumpy consistency. A bite into an unmashed peace of steamed potato enhances the taste.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Divide and roll the mixture into balls of about 2” diameter.
- Heat the oil.
- Dip the potato balls into the batter. Ensure that the batter coats the potato balls evenly.
- Check oil is hot enough by dropping a blob of the batter in. The batter-blob should immediately sizzle and rise up. Fry batches of about 5 wadas at a time. As soon as the wadas are in the oil, reduce the heat a little and stir gently and continuously.
- Remove the wadas when they are golden in colour. Before adding the next batch, increase the heat again.
- Eat hot for a crispy experience. The covering will soften over time.
- Serve with either green chutney or tomato sauce.
Serve hot bateta wadas with green coriander chutney